Erlang Open Internet Platform

matthias@REDACTED matthias@REDACTED
Fri Feb 16 18:31:39 CET 2001

Mike Williams writes:

 > 2) It is hyped hugely by some powerful player.
 >
 > Java, Ada, C++ (SUN, DoD, AT&T) are examples of way 2.

I think the hype around C++ came from the compiler vendors (Borland
and Microsoft) who essentially gave away C++ compilers with their C
compilers. Supposedly ("Design and Evolution of C++") AT&T allocated
almost no resources. Maybe C++'s success relies more on people wanting
to feel that they were engaged in a more "structured and worthy" form
of programming without giving up any of the things they could do in C.

Matthias