help!

Ulf Wiger etxuwig@REDACTED
Fri Feb 16 15:51:43 CET 2001

Hi!

You use the -module(...) notation when writing a program.
It is what is called a "compiler directive". It is only
useful in a program file.

What you are doing below is entering commands in the interactive
Erlang shell. Here, you can call functions, evaluate expressions,
and even assign values to variables, but you cannot use compiler
directives.

If you want to create a module named demo, create a file called
demo.erl. At the top of the file, write "-module(demo)."
Then you need to add an "-export(...) directive to be able to
call functions from the outside.

  -module(demo).
  -export([foo/0]).

  foo() ->
      hello.

Finally you compile demo.erl. You can do this from the interactive
shell:

  1> c(demo).
  {ok, demo}

Then you can call your exported functions:

  2> demo:foo().
  hello

/Uffe

--
Ulf Wiger                                    tfn: +46  8 719 81 95
Senior System Architect                      mob: +46 70 519 81 95