Compaq Tru64 UNIX

Kent Boortz kent@REDACTED
Thu Feb 15 12:04:22 CET 2001

> Has anyone ever ported Erlang/OTP to Compaq's
> Tru64 UNIX running on Alpha processors?
>
> How much grief should I expect?

I haven't heard of a port to Tru64 Unix. How hard it is depends on
what you mean - a true 64 bit port or running Erlang/OTP as a 32 bit
program on a 64 bit OS.

Back in 1995 I did a 32 bit test port to an AlphaStation 400 running
Digital Unix (formerly OSF/1). If I remember correctly the main part
of the work was to send the right flags to the C compiler and linker,
clean up some non ANSI C code and rewrite small amount of C code. I
may have forgot some problems doing the port but I expect that the
improvements done in the system since makes it easier to do a port.

A true 64 bit port is another story. Major changes has to be done.
The heap and stack sizes will also be doubled if not some sort of
"Erlang process base pointers" are added.

kent

Ref:
   http://tru64unix.compaq.com/faqs/publications/porting/HTML/solaris.html#_Toc414071399
   http://tru64unix.compaq.com/faqs/publications/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51_HTML/ARH9VCTE/PNTRPPXX.HTM