listen socket closed when started from init - why?

Chris Pressey cpressey@REDACTED
Tue Dec 11 23:24:22 CET 2001

Hi all,

I have discovered some 'funny' behaviour (in R8, and now in P9).

When I start the attached module from the Erlang shell, it runs fine.

  # erl
  Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 2001.12.10 [source] [hipe]

  Eshell V2001.12.10  (abort with ^G)
  1> test:start(2001).
  <0.30.0>

When I start it from the command line with -run, it cannot acquire a
listen socket for some reason.  It returns {error, closed} and seemingly
cannot be opened during startup.

  # erl -run test start 2001
  Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 2001.12.10 [source] [hipe]

  Eshell V2001.12.10  (abort with ^G)
  1> Listen socket closed

Is there some interaction between startup code run by init, and listen
sockets, that I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance,
Chris