Hierarchical Distribution

Rickard Green rickard.green@REDACTED
Fri Apr 20 15:04:33 CEST 2001

Hidden nodes and hidden global groups will be included in the next
r7b01 patch (which will be released soon).

The following is cut from the coming manual page for erl(1):

--8<--
  -hidden
      Starts the Erlang system as a hidden node if the system is run
      as a distributed node. Hidden nodes always establish hidden
      connections to all other nodes except for nodes in the same
      global group. Hidden connections aren't published on neither
      of the connected nodes, i.e. neither of the connected nodes
      are part of the result from nodes/0 on the other node. See also
      hidden global groups, global_group(3).
-->8--

and global_group(3):

--8<--
  The global_groups-key in the .config file defines the global groups:

  {global_groups, [GroupTuple]}

  Types:

      GroupTuple = {GroupName, [Node]}
                   | {GroupName, PublishType, [Node]}
      GroupName = atom() (naming a global group)
      PublishType = normal | hidden
      Node = atom() (naming a node)

  A GroupTuple without PublishType is the same as a GroupTuple with
  PublishType equal to normal.
-->8--

--8<--
  A hidden node will establish hidden connections to nodes not part
  of the same global group, and normal (visible) connections to nodes
  part of the same global group. Hidden connections aren't published
  on neither of the connected nodes, i.e. neither of the connected
  nodes are part of the result from nodes/0 on the other node.

  In a hidden global group (a global group defined with PublishType
  equal to hidden) all nodes are hidden nodes.

  Hidden nodes can also be part of normal global groups. Nodes
  started with the -hidden switch will be hidden nodes even if they
  are part of a normal group, see erl(1). Other nodes in the group
  will not be affected by this.
-->8--

/Rickard Green, Ericsson UAB, Erlang/OTP