loop exit question

Willem Broekema willem@REDACTED
Thu Apr 19 15:39:09 CEST 2001

Steve Langstaff wrote:

> Doesn't the action of exit change, depending on whether the process
> is trapping exits?
>
> A light perusal of "Concurrent Programming in ERLANG"
> seems to suggest that exit will/may cause a process to terminate, whereas
> one might just want to drop out of a loop. Or have I misunderstood the
> original question?

Indeed, my question was not clear about that. In my situation, the loop
function is
a tcp connection listener, receiving either 'stop', or '{tcp, Sock,
Data}'. The latter
packets are parsed and send to a wrapper, so the loop is always called with
the same arguments:

   connListener(ConnWrapperPid, Sock)

As soon as 'stop' is received, the process may terminate, as this is the
only function
running on the process (it was spawn_link()-ed).

I had not paid attention to exit/1 versus exit/2, so thanks for pointing
out the
important difference. I'll look into it.

Thanks for the fast responses, and the great language... so few lines,
so much
functionality! :-)

- Willem