connecting nodes

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu@REDACTED
Mon Apr 9 08:58:35 CEST 2001

Hi all!

I have just finished to write the small application required for the Erlang
certification, and it was interesting as it made me work with some things
that I never did before...

And some questions came up. Maybe you can shed some light:

***
As far as I can tell, there isn't a way to automatically connect nodes. In
order to (for example) access a global server and allow for it's node to
crash and come back online transparently, one has to know that node's name
and it's host name. I don't really like the idea of hardcoding the node/host
names... Or one has to have a central registrar node which all new nodes
must connect to, but that is just moving away the problem, because that
central node might crash too.

Is it as I think, that there is no way to go around this problem, or have I
missed something?

***
Another question is about io. If there is a process reading from the
standard input, is there any way to cancel that input request and let the
process keep running?

Cheers,
Vlad