base64 encoding using the new binary syntax

Matthias.Lang@REDACTED Matthias.Lang@REDACTED
Tue Sep 26 17:17:19 CEST 2000

Bjorn Gustavsson writes:

 > The bit syntax as currently implemented always copies binaries
 > in construction expressions such as:
 >
 > 	<<Acc/binary, P:6, Q:6, R:6, S:6>>

Interesting. Maybe it'd be useful to add a few lines to the online
manual (http://www.erlang.org/doc/r7a/doc/extensions/part_frame.html)
about performance---I'd been assuming that all the assertions made in
Tony and Klacke's original paper were true, e.g. they guarantee O(1)
concatenation. Now that I think about it, I remember someone saying
that "segmented binaries" hadn't been implemented, so I should have known.

So, I think it's now something like:

Operation                       big-O     Notes