Very Reliable Web Server for NT?

Al Christians achrist@REDACTED
Tue Sep 19 23:53:37 CEST 2000

I've developed some applications for NT (using Delphi) and now
my marketing partner is finding markets that seem to need
some kind of application service provider setup rather
than to run the software standalone on their own machines.  They
are very small and not very computer literate operations, and
they need to make the same data available for viewing and updating
from multiple locations.

So, now, almost as an afterthought, we are thinking of converting
these applications to be web-accessible, setting up a server, and
renting the apps out via a standard web browser interface.  Delphi
includes features that are supposed to be able to turn my apps into
web servers, but I don't trust then to stay up 24x7.  Since this is
an afterthought almost, we don't want to devote any significant
effort to keeping the server up, as in perpetually.  The load won't
be great -- I doubt that we'd ever have more than 10 users at a
time.  Erlang being promoted for very high reliability, I have ...

Questions for this list:

1. Is there any ways that using an Erlang web server as the front end
for Delphi apps would be a good way to improve the overall reliability
and availability of the server?  We would want some way for the Windows
apps to crash (as Windows apps sometimes do) without bringing down the
server, and with the server to able to continue serving other users and
to keep serving up new instances of the crashed apps.

2. Would turning the Delphi apps into Com components and accessing them
with Comet be any more robust than simply turning the Delphi apps into
http servers?  Does Comet protect the client from a crash in a Com
component?

3. Any other better ways to get what we want, ie, a server that will
allow access to Windows applications without stop or significant human
intervention for weeks or months at a run?

TIA very much.

Al