compiler question ?

Bjorn Gustavsson bjorn@REDACTED
Wed Oct 11 17:42:49 CEST 2000

luc.taesch@REDACTED writes:

> is the compiler smart enough to detect that something is unchanged, and then
> not copy it again ( on stacks, or whatever )
>
> f(A) ->2* g(A).
>
> is A copied on the stack, or just passed around ? ( Ais big in my case, and
> quite deep recursion is happenning)

The Beam compiler only saves variables on the stack if they will actually
be used later in the same function. In your case, A will not be saved on
the stack.

> generally speaking , in FP , are things passed around as values or pointer ?

It depends on the type. In Erlang we use 32 bits words that can contain
either a value (for instance an integer or an atom), or pointer to complex
terms likes list cells or tuples. In both cases there a tag bits that
indicates the type.

/Bjorn
--
Björn Gustavsson            Ericsson Utvecklings AB
bjorn@REDACTED      ÄT2/UAB/F/P