release handling

Sean Hinde Sean.Hinde@REDACTED
Tue Oct 10 18:55:42 CEST 2000

Following on from the earlier debate about losing understanding of what the
system is doing when using behaviours I've started to look at the release
handler.

I just want to upgrade the SNMP app to the latest version. According to the
official procedure you need to create a whole new release of everything,
relup and appup files and use more complex scripts to do the upgrade. I
wanted to be able to do this so that I knew what was happening...

First I hacked systools:make_tar/1 to get it to make a tar file just
containing the new SNMP version ignoring all the dependencies.

I created a new start.boot by amending my existing one (created initially
using systools:make_script/1) and recompiling using script2boot/1.

We created a new directory underneath releases with the new release name,
and changed the start_erl.data file to point to my new version.

We then did init:restart(). but got the old version back again ;-)

init:stop() followed by start uses the new version..

My question is really is there a way to make the system use the new version
on init:restart(). without going through the entire upgrade process as
prescribed in the manuals?

Alternatively, has anyone found a simple mechanism to upgrade a single App
without going through all the heartache of appup files etc?

Rgds,
Sean

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: