Suggested Example

Ulf Wiger etxuwig@REDACTED
Mon Oct 9 11:38:35 CEST 2000

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Jeffrey Straszhiem wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Yesterday I read the new document up on the Erlang site regarding
>the experiences of the Sendmail folks.  One point I found
>interesting, and which matches my own experience, is their
>difficulty figuring out the OTP framework for applications,
>supervisors, gen_server's and such.

I agree that this is a problem.

>I understand the difficulty of putting a tutorial like this
>together, and don't expect to see anything on that order soon.
>However, it would be nice to have a simple, but fairly complete,
>Erlang application to look at -- and by that I mean a skeleton of
>one.  I know I could look at Mnesia or something, but I'd rather
>focus all of my meager understanding on figuring out the OTP
>structures instead of the specifics of the database.
>
>Any suggestions?

There are some applications in OTP that could be modified into good
examples of how to build an application.

I thought os_mon might be a pretty good example, because it's not
that complicated. Unfortunately, the os_mon.erl module implements
both the application behaviour and the supervisor behaviour. This
is cheating, and probably confusing to the beginner. It would not
be difficult to change this.

/Uffe
--
Ulf Wiger                                    tfn: +46  8 719 81 95
Network Architecture & Product Strategies    mob: +46 70 519 81 95