threads - use them as much as you can

David W. Bauer Jr. bauerd@REDACTED
Mon Nov 27 21:18:09 CET 2000

I wish I had gotten on this thread sooner.. I find that most people should
stay away from threads in general because in order to use them you have to
determine areas where parallelism can be exploited.  If you cannot do that
well, then you will really derive no benefit from them.  Erlang tries to
make this easier, however is dangerous because of the way the concurrency
works.  For example, many processes trying to work with a single process
can be very harmful to performance.  One nice thing about Erlang is that
it allows for many more processes than most OS limits (which I think is
about 64K for most before the fork bomb).

David