file:read_file in R7B

Miguel Barreiro Paz enano@REDACTED
Thu Nov 16 15:05:03 CET 2000

	Hi,

> One way which R7 differs from R6 is that many things involving
> binaries execute very slowly (and gobble memory) **in the shell**. For
> instance, doing

	It was the shell, certainly: I was reading several files in the
5-15 MByte range and noticed the beam machine was growing a lot. A clean
shell evaluating

{ok,B}=file:read_file("15_MByte_file").

made the beam unix process grow to 350 MBytes physical (and over 1GB
virtual). I've just checked that

{ok,B}=file:read_file("15_MByte_file"),ok.

	works as expected, and whole beam process grows to just some 17MB.
So, it looks like the new binary pretty-printer in the R7B shell is a bit
less efficient than it used to be :)

	Fool me.

Regards,

Miguel