Create table in a transaction

Ulf Wiger etxuwig@REDACTED
Fri Nov 3 11:44:53 CET 2000

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Chandrashekhar Mullaparthi wrote:

>I tried running normal table ops(mnesia:write/1) within the schema
>transaction. But the transaction aborts with {aborted, {no_exists,
>TableName}} - which I think is understandable. I haven't read thru the code
>- but I think schema changes are probably not committed until the schema
>transaction is completed - which is why mnesia:write complains that it cant
>find the table. Though I don't understand why schema transactions are
>different from normal transactions.

Oh, you're trying to write to the very table that you're creating?

No, that won't work. As I understand it, table writes go into a
temporary ets store before prepare_commit, but create_table seems to
take effect in prepare_commit, and thus doesn't exist before that. To
handle that, mnesia_tm would have to peek at the requested ops and
figure out that the table you're writing to is about to be created.

I think Dan is right, this is complicated.

Schema transactions are different from table transactions in a few
respects, but the main difference is that you have to be much more
careful when messing with the schema. This calls for a heavier
transaction protocol, the ability to follow through with the
transaction even if the requesting client dies, etc. Personally, I
don't think I quite fathom the complexity, so perhaps Dan, Håkan or
Klacke could give a better explanation.

>Maybe I'll go thru the code.....once I
>get ccviewer installed and running!
>
>Chandru

(:

/Uffe

--
Ulf Wiger                                    tfn: +46  8 719 81 95
Senior System Architect                      mob: +46 70 519 81 95