optimization tricks ?

dgould@REDACTED dgould@REDACTED
Mon May 15 20:42:14 CEST 2000

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 07:11:05PM +0200, Ulf Wiger wrote:
> On Mon, 15 May 2000 dgould@REDACTED wrote:
>
> >Very nice. I prefer however to:
> >
> > 1. First make it beautiful
> > 2. Then make it work
> >
> >Since 2 almost naturally follows from 1.
> >
> >The corollary is that one rarely ends up debugging pretty code.
> >
> >-dg "yes I am mostly serious about this"
>

> The "first make it beautiful, then make it work" philosophy does
> conflict somwhat with that other maxim, "plan to throw away the first
> version of your program -- you will have to anyway."

I don't think there is a conflict if one expects that it may take a few
discarded rough drafts to get to something approaching beautiful.

The real hazard is when time presses and you end up shipping the rough
draft.

-dg
--

David Gould                                             dgould@REDACTED
SuSE, Inc.,  580 2cd St. #210,  Oakland, CA 94607          510.628.3380