Internal binary representation

James Hague jamesh@REDACTED
Fri Mar 3 20:15:12 CET 2000

I've read "Protocol Programming in Erlang Using Binaries," the experimental
prototype for Erlang's upcoming enhancements to binaries.  In this doc,
there's an explanation of how binaries are represented internally.  My
question:  Is this similar to how binaries are currently implemented or
simply how the prototype worked?

Mostly, I'm curious how expensive split_binary is.  I know it returns two
new binaries in addition to the original, but is that done on a logical
level or does it copy the data?

James

(please email a response in addition to a public reply)