Parsing big files

James Hague jamesh@REDACTED
Wed Dec 6 15:54:13 CET 2000

>The original message noted that reading in the whole file as a binary
>caused the runtime system to run out of memory.

Ah, I missed that :)

> So far the builtin scanning modules cannot handle binaries.

I assumed the poster was writing his own scanner.  I wrote my own scanner a
while back for a compiler (by hand; I didn't use the unofficial Erlang
tool), and I suspect it would have been fairly easy to make it operate on
binary input, rather than a list.  That would be an interesting experiment.

James