one-stop recruiting page

Ulf Wiger etxuwig@REDACTED
Mon Dec 4 12:00:28 CET 2000

I recently sat down and started searching the web for wanted ads
mentioning Erlang. It was disheartening.

Knowing that there is actually a demand for Erlang competence,
I think something needs to be done to make this more visible.

Personally, I'd like to see an "Erlang Programmers Wanted" page on
http://www.erlang.org, where current links to open positions for
Erlangers were collected.

If, say, a student who encounters Erlang at school wants to know what
the job market is for an Erlang expert, he/she might hit a search
engine like I did - with the current state of affairs, he/she would
hardly be encourage to continue.

Having said this, I know that Erlang is doing well in schools that are
teaching it. I recently heard that at KTH Haninge, an engineering
school in Stockholm, the Erlang class had exactly as many applicants
as the Advanced Java class. By cooperating, we can make this more
visible.

Comments are welcome.

This is what I did:

1 Knowing that we are looking for Erlang programmers, I started
  searching for our ad. This was surprisingly difficult (I had to
  ask someone). Later, I learned that the Ericsson jobs page
  is being reorganized, and that it should appear in mid-December.
  (http://www.ericsson.se/SE/rekryt/teknik4947090.html)

2 I went to www.erlang.se, and followed the links to the
  companies that have certified consultants. Of the six companies
  listed, only Sjöland & Thyselius and Cesarini Consulting actually
  mention Erlang on their web pages; of these two, only Sjöland &
  Thyselius is looking for Erlang programmers (Cesarini Consulting
  is, as far as I know, a one-man company)

3 Searched the web via http://www.alltheweb.com and found the
  following additional info:

  - SICS (http://www.sics.se) is looking for people, and is working
    with Erlang. It wasn't entirely obvious that the positions
    listed actually involved work with Erlang, but there appeared to
    be a chance that it might be so.

  - WiseOne (http://www.wiseone.se) is looking for Erlang programmers

  - Ericsson in Gothenburg is looking for Erlang programmers
    (http://www.eritel.se/open/content.htm)
    (http://www.erv.ericsson.se/open/content.htm)

  - Telia Promotor (http://www.promotor.telia.se) is looking for
    Erlang programmers.

  - Erlang Technology, Inc (http://erlang.tech.com) is NOT looking
    for Erlang programmers... ironically.

4 Guessing that the company formerly known as Bluetail might be
  hiring, I looked at their page - indeed they are, but since it's
  a PHP page, it doesn't score well on search engines.

/Uffe
--
Ulf Wiger                                    tfn: +46  8 719 81 95
Senior System Architect                      mob: +46 70 519 81 95