Problems building R6B with Linux/glibc 2.1

User & marc@REDACTED
Tue Nov 30 11:25:39 CET 1999

On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 10:51:28AM +0100, Klacke wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 07:12:00PM -0500, User & wrote:
> > I had zero problems with freebsd 3.3-stable and the new release.
> > Try freebsd?
> >
> > marc
>

> Now thats the spirit, tell a Linux user to swap OS.
> Let's have a little shoot-out over this, NOT.
>

> /klacke   (Happy FreeBSD user)
>
> (btw, anybody feel like doing a /usr/ports port again, or maybe
> we should wait a couple of days until the otp_r6b patch flood
> stabilizes ?)

I vote for doing it once, after 21 december I might even have time
to figure it out and do it.

It was just an idea.  Did you know that newer versions of glibc apear
to include an old version of Berkerly DB and this can cause problems if
you install a newer version, symbols don't resolve at link time oh my.
The solution to this is to start mucking around, er recompile with out
the DB stuff and hope nothing bad happens, with glibc.  Of the 3 dist.'s
I have run I liked debian 2.0 the best.  But I must say that FreeBSD or
OpenBSD have been much easier to get work done on instead of work done
to, glibc kernel version dance comes to mind to get a specfic app running.

If you are happy with your linux distrubution then stick with it.

I had a short email chat with the orignal poster and explained my reasons.

They boil down to less work to keep the system running.  So I have more
time to spend doing productive work.  I am not saying that this is the
for everybody but just for me.

Marc