Contacting with net_adm:ping/1

Klacke klacke@REDACTED
Thu Nov 18 23:42:38 CET 1999

> > I'm having a problem contacting nodes in Linux hosts.
> > Imagine I launch node_1@REDACTED, node_2@REDACTED and node_1@REDACTED, being host_2 and host_2 linux based hosts.
> >
> > When I try the net_adm:ping(node_2@REDACTED) in node_1@REDACTED the result is pong. Ok!
> > Then I try net_adm:ping(node_1@REDACTED) in node_1@REDACTED and (most of the times) the result is pang.

Hmmm, this sounds strange, in particular the part about "sometimes"
You may have some troubles with the setup of your network in
general, I suppose you have checked that regular unix nameresolution et.al
works ?? Check your /etc files and make sure they're all good

> For ping to work across machines, you have to use long node names for both
> your hosts. So, you will have to use:
>
> host1> erl -name host1
> host2> erl -name host2

Ineed not, I haven't used the -name option for years, I always
use the -sname option.

Claes Wikström                          Tel: +46 (0)8 692 22 09
Bluetail AB                             Email: klacke@REDACTED
Hantverkargatan 78                      WWW: http://www.bluetail.com
SE-112 38 Stockholm, SWEDEN