Archive?

Luke Gorrie luke@REDACTED
Sun Mar 7 02:47:59 CET 1999

Per Hedeland <per@REDACTED> writes:

> Luke Gorrie <luke@REDACTED> wrote:
> >I'm just wondering if this list is archived on the web somewhere?
>
> Not as far as the list maintainers know...:-) However archives are kept,
> and are retrievable with the standard Majordomo commands - send a
> message with just the word "help" (no quotes of course) in the body to
> majordomo@REDACTED to find out the details.

Ah, I didn't realise that majordomo let you lookup archives via
email -- thanks for the pointer.

> >If not, perhaps we could subscribe www.mail-archive.org to this list.
>
> I'll have to reveal my ignorance by asking what that is (I can guess the
> general idea of course) - also the URL http://www.mail-archive.org/
> doesn't exist ("host not found")...

Ooops!  That should have been ".com".  It's a free service which
creates a searchable archive of a mailing list on the web.  It's very
administratively easy - you just subscribe a special address at their
site to the mailing list and the rest is automatic.  It also does
things like stripping posters' email addresses from the archives, and
doesn't seem to be a spam-risk.  But, with majordomo already giving
access to the archives, it might be superfluous.

Cheers,
Luke