Erlang SSL application status

Klacke klacke@REDACTED
Fri Dec 10 10:41:11 CET 1999

On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 05:04:52PM +0800, Chuan-kai Lin wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I was wondering that if the SSL application uses ssleay for all
> the cryptography operations, why it cannot be included in the open
> source release of Erlang?  There does not need to be any cryptography
> code in the package, as all we need is the hook to the SSL library,
> which should be perfectly exportable.

I _heard_ (I don't know) that the export regulation laws
apply not just to encryption packages, but also to code
that provides hooks to encryption packages. I don't know,
it sounds weird.

What's even more weird is that the other
the day. I installed FreeBSD 3.3, which I received in the
mail on a CD from Walnut Creek. Well it comes with the *source* for
DES, how can that be ??

Anyway, it would be nice if somebody could confirm
that this "hook to encryption packages" theory is correct.

All these crypto regulations really suck !!

/klacke

--
Claes Wikstrom                          <klacke@REDACTED>
Bluetail AB                             http://www.bluetail.com