erlang crashes

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Tue Apr 13 09:43:08 CEST 1999

Yes, this means that erlang cannot load one of the .jam files it needs
to get things going.

You can tell from the crash dump that the modules 'init' and
'erl_prim_loader' have been loaded, so I guess 'erlang' is next. You can
see how erlang loads the modules in the start script. From the crash
dump, I can't tell which one you're using, but this early in the start
phase there shouldn't be much difference.

The start scripts can be found under $ERL_ROOT/releases/<Vsn>/.

You're probably using start_clean or start. You'll find two files of
each - e.g. start.script and start.boot. The .script file is in parsable
ASCII format, and starts something like this:

        [{preLoaded,[init,erl_prim_loader]},
         {progress,preloaded},

{path,["$ROOT/lib/kernel-2.1.4/ebin","$ROOT/lib/stdlib-1.5.2/ebin"]},
         {primLoad,[erlang,error_handler]},
         {kernel_load_completed},
         {progress,kernel_load_completed},

As an aside, the .script and .boot files are basically generated like:

   Script = make_script(...),
   {ok,Fd} = file:open("start.script", [write]),
   io:format(Fd, "%% script generated at ~p ~p~n~p.~n", [Script]),
   file:close(Fd),
   file:write_file("start.boot", term_to_binary(Script)).

If you want to see in more detail what's happening during the boot
phase, you can start erlang with the -init_debug flag.

/Uffe

--
Ulf Wiger, Chief Designer AXD 301     <ulf.wiger@REDACTED>
Ericsson Telecom AB                          tfn: +46  8 719 81 95