Porting to IRIX

Sebastian Strollo seb@REDACTED
Thu Dec 10 18:51:07 CET 1998

"Ben 'The Con Man' Kahn" <xkahn@REDACTED> writes:

> 	I seem to suddenly need erlang on IRIX and Linux.  Everything
> works fine on Linux, of course.  But now I'm porting erlang to IRIX 6.5.
> (64 bit)  I will post all my changes back to this list for people to use.
> For the moment however, I'm not changing things in a cross-platform
> manner.  I'm simply making changes so things work.  (Hack and slash
> method.)  When I get a little better at autoconf I'll make fixes the
> correct way.

Well if you figure out what is needed I can get it into autoconf.

> 	1) gcc doesn't work on IRIX above 5.3.  :^(
> 	2) SGI's cc doesn't support any -W options.  I had to remove them.
> 	3) SGI's cc doesn't support -fno-inline
> 	4) IRIX doesn't seem to support vfork.  (I havn't found it yet.)
> 	5) There are a number of compile problems with standard c
> 	   shortcuts which seem not to compile.  I've added casts in
>            a number of places to make things work.

The system used to be a lot more portable, as time went by more people
started working with it and we were under pressure to produce versions
for specific OS's... So the system is a bit less portable today
unfortunately, but our aim is to fix these things as possible so it's
great to see people running it on all kinds of things!

> 	I've now compiled the package on the SGI.  However, it seg faults
> on startup.  So here is the stack dump.  There seem to be two problems --
> the first is a memory allocation failure.  The second is a seg fault in
> the reporting of that error.  :^)

I don't know about 6.5 (we don't have any IRIX boxes here) but Shawn
Pearce sent us this earlier:

Shawn Pearce <pearcs@REDACTED> writes:
 > Adding these 4 lines to sys.conf lets Erlang compile and run on Irix 6.3.  I
 > haven't checked 6.4 yet.
 >
 > #ifdef __sgi
 > # define    vfork() fork()
 > # define EXTRA_POINTER_BITS 0x10000000