Erlang OTP 23.0-rc1 is available for testing
Thu Feb 27 14:37:33 CET 2020
OTP 23 Release Candidate 1
This is the first of three planned release candidates before the OTP 23
The intention with this release is to get feedback from our users. All
feedback is welcome, even if it is only to say that it works for you.
Erlang/OTP 23 is a new major release with new features, improvements as
well as a few incompatibilities.
- Support for SSL 3.0 is completely removed.
- TLS 1.3 is added to the list of default supported versions.
- erl_interface: Removed the deprecated parts of erl_interface
(erl_interface.h and essentially all C functions with prefix erl_).
- The deprecated erlang:get_stacktrace/0 BIF now returns an empty list
instead of a stacktrace.
erlang:get_stacktrace/0 is scheduled for removal in OTP 24.
- A new module erpc in kernel which implements an enhanced subset of the
operations provided by the rpc module. Enhanced in the sense that it
makes it possible to distinguish between returned value, raised exceptions
and other errors. erpc also has better performance and scalability than
the original rpc implementation. This by utilizing the newly introduced
spawn_request() BIF. Also the rpc module benefits from these
improvements by utilizing erpc when possible.
- Scalability and performance Improvements plus new functionality
regarding distributed spawn operations.
- In binary matching, the size of the segment to be matched is now
allowed to be a guard expression (EEP-52)
- When matching with maps the keys can now be guard expressions (EEP-52).
- ssh: support for TCP/IP port forwarding, a.k.a tunneling a.k.a as
tcp-forward/direct-tcp is implemented. In the OpenSSH client, this
corresponds to the options -L and -R.
- Allow underscores in numeric literals to improve readability.
Examples: 123_456_789, 16#1234_ABCD.
- New functions in the shell for displaying documentation for Erlang
modules, functions and types. The
- h/1,2,3 -- Print the documentation for a Module:Function/Arity.
- ht/1,2,3 -- Print the type documentation for a Module:Type/Arity.
The embedded documentation is created as docchunks (EEP 48) when
building the Erlang/OTP documentation.
- kernel: The module pg with a new implementation of distributed named
process groups is introduced. The old module pg2 is deprecated and
scheduled for removal in OTP 24.
- Our tool chain for building the Windows packages is upgraded with new
C++ compiler, Java compiler, OpenSSL libraries and wxWidgets versions. We
are now using WSL (the Linux Subsystem for Windows when building) which
makes it easier to handle the build environment.
For more details see
Pre built versions for Windows can be fetched here:
Online documentation can be browsed here:
The Erlang/OTP source can also be found at GitHub on the official Erlang
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the erlang-announce