[ANN] Khepri 0.3.0 - A tree-like replicated on-disk database library

Jean-Sébastien Pédron jean-sebastien.pedron@REDACTED
Mon Apr 25 19:59:23 CEST 2022

Hi!

On behalf of the RabbitMQ team, I'm pleased to announce Khepri 0.3.0! It
is available on:
     * GitHub (https://github.com/rabbitmq/khepri/releases/tag/v0.3.0)
     * Hex.pm (https://hex.pm/packages/khepri)

Khepri is a tree-like replicated on-disk database library for Erlang and
Elixir. This is a library we plan to use inside RabbitMQ as a
replacement for Mnesia. Indeed, we want to leverage Ra[1], our
implementation of the Raft consensus algorithm, to have a uniform
behavior, especially w.r.t. network partitions, across all types of data
managed by RabbitMQ.

The release notes [2] describe the content of Khepri 0.3.0 in details,
with examples. The most important and breaking change is the revamp of
the public API. Here is a summary of the major highlights of this change:

* The high- vs low-level API distinction is now gone. The public API is
   now exposed by `khepri` only. `khepri_machine` becomes an internal
   private module. As part of that `khepri` grew several new functions
   for common use cases and we will certainly add more in the future,
   based on the feedback.

* Unix-like path are first-class citizen: all functions taking a native
   path ([stock, wood, <<"oak">>]) now accept Unix-like paths
   ("/:stock/:wood/oak"). In the process, the syntax of Unix-like paths
   evolved: atoms are represented as :atom and binaries are represented
   as-is, binary. The main reason is that using <<binary>> for binaries
   was difficult to read and type.

* Payload and event filter records are now private. Payload types are
   automatically detected now, likewise for event filters. That said, it
   is still possible to use functions to construct the internal
   structures, but it should rarely be necessary.

* `khepri_tx`, the module to perform Khepri calls inside transactions,
   will now expose the same API as `khepri`, except when functions don’t
   make sense in a transaction.

As always, I would loooove to hear from anyone who glanced at the code,
the documentation or even started to play with Khepri :-)

[1] https://github.com/rabbitmq/ra
[2] https://github.com/rabbitmq/khepri/releases/tag/v0.3.0

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron