Collateral Damage

Austin Ziegler halostatue@REDACTED
Mon Apr 25 17:32:11 CEST 2022

I disagree that there’s no bashing. Look through the most recent thread and
the previous thread about this EEP and you’ll see people expressing some
pretty rank opinions. Additionally, saying "we don’t want Erlang to become
Elixir" is essentially a content-free statement. Someone took the time to
write up an EEP *complete with examples*, and it gets rejected by the
community not on its merits (or lack thereof), but simply because "ew,
looks too much like Elixir, we’re screwing up the language if we do this".
Paraphrased, but not excessively so.

I’m a development manager in an Elixir shop (it’s not the only language we
use). We’re clear that we develop with Elixir, even though we would
absolutely interview someone with an Erlang background. And as a
development manager, I can say that we would absolutely prefer most of our
code to be in Elixir, but would have little problem implementing part of
the code in Erlang, if it made sense to do so. (The beauty of the Elixir
tooling is that doing that is trivial.)

-a

--
Austin Ziegler • halostatue@REDACTEDaustin@REDACTED