Erlang on Android

Mikael Pettersson mikpelinux@REDACTED
Fri Sep 17 14:03:26 CEST 2021

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 1:45 PM Dominic Letz <dominic@REDACTED> wrote:
> So this brings me to my question #1. Is there a way to remove the dependency on these external binaries of erl_child_setup [...]

As I recall, erl_child_setup is there to avoid needing to fork()
inside the Erlang VM (when spawning off external commands via e.g.
os:cmd/1). Forking is a problem when one runs massively large
Erlang/VM instances, as we (Klarna) do. With erl_child_setup, the
fork() is done inside that much smaller helper process. So I think it
needs to stay, but the mechanics of starting it might need adapting
for Android.

I take it you don't use heart, because that's also a separate executable.