UBF question

Roger Lipscombe roger@REDACTED
Thu Oct 28 15:36:36 CEST 2021

Erlang already has a native serialization format, using the functions
term_to_binary and binary_to_term; see
https://erlang.org/doc/apps/erts/erl_ext_dist.html. The UBF library
was an attempt to make a language-agnostic way to serialize Erlang
terms. But it's not in any sense "official", other than that it was
designed by one of the original Erlang authors, Joe Armstrong.

The real questions are these: What are you serializing? For what
purpose? Over what media (storage/network, e.g.)? For interop with
which other languages or systems? How much one-way and round-trip
fidelity to/via those systems do you need?