Old Release Of Erlang On Apple Silicon

Adrian Ho ml+erlang@REDACTED
Mon Nov 22 05:11:45 CET 2021

On 16/11/21 12:27 am, Onorio Catenacci wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When I attempt to install Erlang 21 on a new Apple Silicon chip I get
>
> onorio.catenacci$ brew install erlang@REDACTED
>
> erlang@REDACTED: The x86_64 architecture is required for this software.
>
> Error:erlang@REDACTED: An unsatisfied requirement failed this build.
>

> I found this:
> https://stackoverflow.com/a/67098973/2820
> <https://stackoverflow.com/a/67098973/2820>
>
> But it doesn't seem to do the trick.  When I attempt to run it I get
>
> onorio.catenacci$ arch -x86_64 brew install erlang@REDACTED
>
> Error:Cannot install under Rosetta 2 in ARM default prefix
> (/opt/homebrew)!
>
> To rerun under ARM use:
>
> arch -arm64 brew install ...
>
> To install under x86_64, install Homebrew into /usr/local.

Homebrew installs architecture-specific binaries in different
hierarchies, /usr/local for x86-64 and /opt/homebrew for AS. Both can be
installed simultaneously, but each hierarchy is maintained by a
different instance of the Homebrew software, i.e. /usr/local/bin/brew
manages x86-64 bottles, while /opt/homebrew/bin/brew manages the AS ones.

In your case, you can do this:

arch -x86_64 bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"

to install x86_64 Homebrew alongside your existing AS one, then:

/usr/local/bin/brew install erlang@REDACTED

will get you what you want.

Best Regards,
Adrian