OTP-24 and lager and line numbers

Roger Lipscombe roger@REDACTED
Fri Jun 11 14:00:28 CEST 2021

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 at 20:14, Roger Lipscombe <roger@REDACTED> wrote:

> I'm migrating a large project to OTP-24.x, and it seems that my line
> numbers are tuples by the time they appear in my logs.
>
> How best to work around this? We're not in a position to rip out lager
> just yet. Using lager 3.9.2.

Let me restate the problem:

When compiling with OTP-24, if I use (e.g.) lager:info("Hello World!")
in my code, the lager_default_formatter expands 'line' to a tuple. The
first value is the line number; I don't know what the second value is.
In theory, it's the column number, but it doesn't correlate with
anything obvious, and I suspect that it's been messed up by lager's
parse transform anyway.

In OTP-23, 'line' would have been the integer line number.

The problem appears to be that where OTP-23's AST (as passed to the
parse transform) would have had an integer for the line number, OTP-24
passes a tuple[1] of {Line, Col}. lager, for better or worse,
passes[2] this all the way through to the logging backend (and thus
formatter), which just spits it straight out.

I was hoping not to have to fork lager to deal with this.

[1] Using beam_lib:chunks to look at the abstract_code chunk, I see a
tuple for the location.
[2] If I add some is_integer guards to the parse transform, it fails
as expected.