Erlang re docs

Lloyd R. Prentice lloyd@REDACTED
Sat Jan 30 20:32:51 CET 2021

Sorry guys, I do understand regular expressions well enough to use them the rare times when I need them.  I have read PCRE docs and various others and I would say that they are generally better written and presented than the re reference doc. And I do understand that regular expressions and Erlang are two completely different languages.

If the community is satisfied with the docs as they are then there’s nothing more to say.

But I do contend that there’s a problem. Software docs need to be fit for purpose.  In-line code comments, library references, tutorials, and technical white papers are all different formats with different functions and conventions. A language needs them all to attract and sustain a robust community. My read is that the re doc conflates these functions in a confusing and distracting text that well may discourage folks new to Erlang.

Assertions:

— Erlang is a tool.
— The value of a tool is the efficiency and effectiveness with which it solves real-world problems.
— As programmer, time is our most precious asset.
— A software library that is inadequately documented likely wastes our time when we first strive to understand why and how to use it, when we seek to refresh our memory of how to use it, and when we wish to extend it’s functionality.

When I turned to re to solve a problem at hand, the re doc was 90 percent a waste of my time. And that, sorry to say, diminishes the value of Erlang for me as a tool.

 I’m wondering how many others may have had the same experience. And how many of those have rejected Erlang as too much bother to learn.

Best wishes,

LRP

Sent from my iPad