New EEP draft: Pinning operator ^ in patterns

Richard Carlsson carlsson.richard@REDACTED
Tue Jan 19 13:51:08 CET 2021

Calling it "pinning" is what Elixir does. They use the same symbol and the
same semantics. Borrowing the semantics, it would be a bad idea to cause
confusion by inventing new terminology or use a different symbol (luckily,
^ happened to be completely free for use in Erlang as well), regardless of
whether I thought I could come up with some better term, especially since
people often jump between Erlang and Elixir projects these days. The
reading should be straightforward: the interpretation of the variable is
"pinned" to the existing scope, regardless of how unmarked variables are
being interpreted in that particular pattern.

Also, Elixir documentation calls ^ an operator. It's not an operator on the
expression level, but I've often seen things like namespace selectors such
as '.' and '::' be referred to as operators. Call it a colloquialism if you
will. It could probably be regarded as an operator on a meta-level, though,
since it marks a phrase for being interpreted in a particular environment.
For instance, LISP backquotes are often referred to as operators.

Haskell, OCaml, etc., don't have this feature, but it could simply be
because nobody thought about trying it. We should consider the possibility
that Elixir invented something new and useful.

I would also (I think) like a rule that simply treats all variables as new
in all patterns - but I would have to make more large scale experiments to
see how well it would work in practice. This we can however not do - yet -
without breaking existing code. But introducing ^-annotation both addresses
immediate problems of readability and maintainability as well as make the
way clear for such a future change.

        /Richard