New EEP draft: Pinning operator ^ in patterns

Eckard Brauer eckard.brauer@REDACTED
Fri Jan 15 11:13:47 CET 2021

Am Thu, 14 Jan 2021 13:37:15 -0800
schrieb Sam Overdorf <soverdor@REDACTED>:

> I don't like the idea of pinning. One should already know which
> variables are not bound.

Or, in other words: If a fun() is too large or complicated to keep
track of all variables' state (even when well commented), the fun()
should be reworked.

I'm just an occasional Erlang user, and I like it for it's simplicity
in one and expressiveness in the other hand, so if it came to vote, I'd
do so - against that new operator. Either I didn't understand it fully
yet and some hidden power I'm not aware of is still left, or the
outcome and possible confusion won't legitimate the effort.

Just my 2 cents

Eckard