OTP socket.erl, unexpected interaction when receiving from errqueue

Wed Jan 13 17:35:06 CET 2021

We have sketched on a possible implementation that works for the VM:s
select machinery.

This is how it supposedly would behave from the socket user's point of view.

An application that wishes to differ between input and error events sets
the socket option: {otp,select_error} to 'true'.  If the platform does not
support poll() and epoll(), setting the option fails.

When calling socket:recv*(..., nowait | Ref), if you get a
SelectInfo return you will later get one or possibly both of these
process messages:
    {'$socket', Socket, select, Ref}
    {'$socket', Socket, select_error, Ref}
The socket is registered for both POLLIN and POLLERR.
socket:cancel(Socket, SelectInfo) clears both.
Calling socket:recv*(...) also clears both.
Any 'select' or 'select_error' message in the process mailbox
from the select operation in progress is also removed.

It is the socket user's responsibility to handle socket options
{ip,recverr} and the receive flag 'errqueue" appropriately for
this use case.

socket:send*(..., nowait | Ref) does not generate any 'select_error'
process message, and does not register for POLLERR.

Another possibility might be to squeeze in a flag/option/switch for all
socket:recv*() operations, to change them into only using POLLERR, so it
will be the socket user's responsibility to combine the recv flag
'errqueue' with this flag/option/switch, and then the normal 'select'
process message would mean that POLLERR has triggered.

This sounds simpler but would require parallel POLLIN and POLLERR
operations from different processes, therefore another job queue in the NIF
to handle queueing POLLER.  Also, the user's code would probably need to
handle POLLERR in a different process than POLLIN.  I think it would be
impossible to handle both POLLIN and POLLERR in the same process.

Is this a feasible solution, or should we stay with the suggested
workarounds associated with not being able to differ between POLLIN and
POLLERR...?

/ Raimo