Erlang forums (was Re: PING TEST)

Oliver Korpilla oliver.korpilla@REDACTED
Sat Dec 18 11:47:31 CET 2021

Funny, I never thought of static typing as an evolution, more like a way
to spend time on other tasks than actually solving problems.

I never have coded as efficiently and succinctly as in elixir. It
reminds me of Lisp. Many Lisps make just the right compromise to empower
you instead of going after some strict ideal that may lead to the
compiler checking the code, but also to very inflexible code that is
hard to change. Prototyping in statically typed languages can be a
nightmare, same for refactoring. As soon as you touch your type
hierarchy or data model, you're in a world of hurt.

On the other hand, I consider the five years I've spent with elixir to
be most deeply satisfying time of my professional career. I've rewritten
my codebase many times over as my understanding of BEAM and elixir
evolved, and in spite of adding features, the amount of "hand-written"
code stayed always the same. I've offloaded stuff into macros and
writing also code that generates code,  for example.

In comparison, I started small personal projects in PureScript
(essentially Haskell), versions of ML, Reason, etc. What I noticed is
that after deciding I wanted to do things differently I could often
simply start over. I got used to reading weird-ass large error messages
whenever I used any type of generic data structures, and working with
lenses and similar was a relief but also time-consuming. Never had I the
feeling that the compiler checking my code actually added anything to my
workflow, it made everything more time-consuming.

This reminds me of my time in college when professors would go deeply
into problems of type systems and how to solve them which only meant in
the end you would even spend more time with type systems. It seems to be
circular. The solution to any type system problem is a more complex,
harder to understand type system. It's like some managers believe that
problems with quality require more quality assurance and rules, until
some engineers spend like 80% of their time with that and barely
producing any code, and yet the quality problems largely continue.

So, unless I had very clear specifications that are expected not to
change much, I wouldn't chose a statically typed language. If I need to
stay flexible and the performance allows it, I would chose elixir or a
Lisp. Because I anticipate change and needing that flexibility as
requirements evolve. I have rewritten whole central frameworks in days
and weeks when in statically typed code frameworks live on for years
after most everyone agrees they were not a good idea because the cost of
change was so high.

What matters to me, besides the ability to change things comparatively
fast, is readability. Here elixir shines as well. Rereading code is
another thing I spend a lot of time with, given that sometimes things
work well for years before needing touching again. I often enough come
to my own code as a stranger, but I often find that readability can be
key to maintainability.

elixir has its flaws, but its typing system isn't one to me.