Erlang forums (was Re: PING TEST)

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey@REDACTED
Thu Dec 16 08:38:35 CET 2021

I understand the desire and intent but, frankly, the forum is an awful UX
that feels like what we had in the 90s (and in which I never had nor would
participate). I'm an old time Erlang dev having consulted to Ericsson in
the early 90's and have recently caused my company to adopt Erlang with
some core products. The quality of the Erlang email list has been
outstanding. Having that history in my email has been an invaluable
resource. Moving to the forum will greatly diminish this value for us -
there's just no way of getting around that. I think there's a lot of people
who feel the same way. I will, of course, try out the "forum as list"
feature but we all know it's not designed for that and interactivity will
not be as strong as the email list.

Frankly I don't get what value we're anticipating from the forum that is
better than the current email list. If we wanted to move to something that
captures discussion threads better then I would recommend gitter or
discord. This forum software is horrible, imho. I'm sure everyone on this
list wants to create the best experience for supporting Erlang/OTP. I don't
doubt anyone's intentions here. But the forum solution just doesn't cut the
mustard to me.

thanks for listening,

  -- Ben Scherrey