no function clause matching became no case clause matching exception

Björn Gustavsson bjorn@REDACTED
Mon Dec 13 13:38:48 CET 2021

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 11:15 AM Mikael Pettersson <mikpelinux@REDACTED> wrote:

> I think this is unfortunate. The language specifies different errors
> for different
> cases, e.g. badmatch, case_clause, function_clause, and I think the error
> implied by the original source should be preserved even if the compiler inlines
> and rewrites code. If this is not the case there is no reason for the
> language to
> pretend to have this distinction.

I have written an issue: https://github.com/erlang/otp/issues/5513

We will need a new BEAM instruction to implement this without code
bloat, so it can be no earlier than OTP 25.

/Björn