read numbers

Hugo Mills hugo@REDACTED
Fri Dec 10 09:36:03 CET 2021

On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 06:02:12PM +1300, Richard O'Keefe wrote:
> Question 1:
>   Why is the file written that way in the first place?
>   With multi-terabyte drives as cheap as they are, you
>   may not care about bloating the space your data use,
>   but more characters => more time.

   Unless I'm very much mistaken, this code is for this year's Advent
of Code problems. (https://adventofcode.com/2021/about), so the set-up
is somewhat contrived.

> Question 2:
>   Depending on what bit manipulation you want to do,
>   it may be more convenient to work with integers
>   rather than binaries.  So what exactly do you want
>   to do with these?

   It looks like day 3, which involves counting the number of bits set
in the nth place of each number (for each n).

   Hugo.

--
Hugo Mills             | Great films about cricket: Crease
hugo@REDACTED carfax.org.uk |