Erlang forums (was Re: PING TEST)

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Sun Dec 5 16:57:11 CET 2021

Hello!

I figured I would use the few minutes at my disposal to voice my
concerns re the Erlang forums.

I joined them when I got an early invite thinking they were a mere
extension of the Erlang/OTP avenues. But that's not the case.

We had heated debates around the rules a few years ago that resulted in
https://erlang.org/download/erlang_org_code_of_conduct.txt - these are
not good but remain mostly harmless.

The Erlang forums have this monstrosity: https://erlangforums.com/tos

After finding that out (you don't get to accept them, they're just there
in a half hidden link) I brought up the subject with the forum owner to
correct course to no avail.

This ties into concerns I have seen others have which is that the forums
are not owned by the Erlang/OTP team but instead by a third party (and
possibly set up by their initiative, not the Erlang/OTP team's).

As a result I do not plan to participate in the Erlang forums in any
capacity other than when mandated to do so.

If the Erlang/OTP team wants to make the forums a more
official/permanent venue to reach them then they should also ensure that
the conditions to use the forums are the same as their other venues.

On 03/12/2021 14:30, Bryan Frimin wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 4:27 PM Richard O'Keefe <raoknz@REDACTED> wrote:
>>> As far as I am concerned, anything that diverts traffic away from the Erlang
>>> mailing list to a labyrinth like erlangforums.com is a Bad Thing.  Sigh.
>>
>> Yep.  Email is far from perfect but no one has come up with a suitable
>> replacement yet.
>
> Completely agree with this.

+1

Cheers,