erl startup time

Wed Sep 23 11:26:42 CEST 2020

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 1:42 AM Sam Overdorf <soverdor@REDACTED> wrote:

> I asked this once before but did not get an answer.
> I use windows 10.
> The first time I start up "erl" and (at random times)  it takes "erl"
> 1 min: and 52 sec: to give me a prompt.

At almost 2 minutes, you can rule out slow startup time as the root cause.
Erlang isn't particularly fast in startup time, but I've never seen it take
more than a second, even on a fairly constrained machine of the modern
kind. My bets are:

- Antivirus messing with File I/O
- DNS
- You run in a VM and it has been given almost no resources
- The system is waiting on timeouts for calls which fail

In a UNIX system, I would recommend to use strace/ptrace/ktrace/dtrace to
figure out what is keeping the program in a stalled state. I don't know
what to use on Windows 10, but I can't imagine there is no equivalent tool.

--
J.