HiPE to be removed in OTP 24?

Rich Neswold rich.neswold@REDACTED
Fri Jun 19 19:31:42 CEST 2020

We are not a “primary customer” but HiPE is essential at Fermilab. We have
an in-house, protocol code generator that aggressively builds binaries
using bitstream comprehensions. We also adjusted our generator to follow
hints given from +bin_opt_info. The last time we measured performance
between byte-code and HiPE, we found the native code ran 100x faster making
Erlang a viable option for our systems.

We’re currently at OTP 21 and have no problem staying there until we feel
the JIT performs similarly and supports ARM. I’m building OTP 23 without
HiPE on a test system to see if the binary manipulation instructions
improved enough that this isn’t an issue.

Just thought I’d let you know that HiPE does have its users.