dbg suspend of traced process

Peti Gömöri gomoripeti@REDACTED
Fri Jun 12 23:06:48 CEST 2020

Hi,

I noticed that dbg suspends the traced process, when it receives a
function-called trace from it.
https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/master/lib/runtime_tools/src/dbg.erl#L875

I kind of feel what could have been the original intent behind this, but
isn't this something, similar to sender punishment for long message queues,
that was more relevant in non-SMP mode, and could be removed?
Even so, as it only happens for "trace" messages, and not when timestamp is
enabled ("trace_ts"), which sounds like an accidental asymmetry.

I am curious what are the details and history behind this selective suspend?

thanks
Peter