Patch Package OTP 21.3.8.17 Released

Rickard Green rickard@REDACTED
Wed Jul 22 23:19:18 CEST 2020

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 6:50 PM Luke Bakken <luke@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For what it's worth I had to manually apply this patch to build
> 21.3.8.17 using gcc 10.1.0 on Arch Linux -
>
> https://github.com/erlang/otp/pull/2503/files
>
> https://github.com/lukebakken/otp/tree/lrb-OTP-21.3.8.17
>
> I'm happy to report this via the appropriate channel. Would that be
> bugs.erlang.org?
>
> Thanks -
> Luke

Yes https://bugs.erlang.org is the appropriate channel for reporting bugs.
However, we consider this bug fixed. It has been fixed in OTP 22 and does
not exist in OTP 23. This is more or less the same scenario as in the "EOL
plans for major versions" thread. My reply cut from that thread <

https://erlang.org/doc/system_principles/misc.html#supported-releases>:

> > In general, bugs are only fixed on the latest release, and new features
are
> > introduced in the upcoming release that is under development. However,
> > when we, due to internal reasons, fix bugs on older releases, these
will be
> > available and announced as well.
> >
> > Due to the above, pull requests are only accepted on the maint and the
> > master branches in our git repository. The maint branch contains changes
> > planned for the next maintenance patch package on the latest OTP release
> > and the master branch contain changes planned for the upcoming OTP
> > release.
>
> The two releases immediately preceding current release fall under the
internal
> reasons. The older the release is, the less attention it gets. In
practice these
> preceding releases get quite a lot of fixes.
>
> In this specific case MacOS Catalina was not available when OTP 21 was
> current release and has therefore not gotten any fixes for Catalina.

Regards,
Rickard
--
Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB