The missing UDP packets

Alexander Petrovsky askjuise@REDACTED
Tue Feb 4 15:53:54 CET 2020

вт, 4 февр. 2020 г. в 16:52, Valentin Micic <v@REDACTED>:

> [...]
>
> I've got the strange floating problem with UDP to receive, which I
> couldn't debug by myself. Let me describe briefly what I have: There is UDP
> socket which used for send packets to many peers and receives responses
> from them (rate ~1pps):
>
> send request: SIP options
> receive a response: 100
> receive a response: 200
>
> In erlang it's implemented like gen_server which receives messages, the
> sockets options are: binary, {active, once}.
>
> Every time, when the message is received from the mailbox, code try to do
> some job, after that try to handle message bursts by calling in the loop
> (by example 5 times):
> gen_udp:recv(Socket, 0, 0), bursts and after that set the socket option {active,
> once} back.
>
> So, here I'm observing floating strange behavior, from time to time the
> second!! and always the second!! response is absent. I see this UDP missing
> packets in tcpdump, I don't see any drops in UDP stack at all.
>
> When I'm trying to add some logs into my erlang code, the problem
> disappears, when I'm run strace to recvfrom syscall the problem
> disappears... I't try to debug VM with gdb and make some breakpoints on
> sock_recvfrom in inet_drv.c (it's OTP-21.3), but the problem disappears
> (((
>
> I can't find the problem root cause, is it in my code or is it in VM?
> Maybe someone could help me with that?
>
> --
> Петровский Александр / Alexander Petrovsky,
>
> Skype: askjuise
> Phone: +7 931 9877991
>

> So, I suppose this is related to SIP communication, and I’ll go out on a
> limb here…
>
> Considering that SIP message, when transported using UDP, must fit into a
> single UDP message, then, your statement that second and only second
> response packet is missing, may imply that you are sending response using
> two UDP packets.
>
> (A) AFAIK, SIP over UDP does not have any continuation, hence, must fit
> into a single packet.
> If you (by any chance) send SIP message over multiple UDP packets, this
> shouldl not work — saying this just in case.
>
> (B) OTOH, if tcpdump reveals UDP fragmentation (where a single UDP
> datagram is fragmented over multiple IP packets), then maybe your UDP
> buffer it to small to assemble the whole message, in which case message
> might be truncated, and your SIP parser may see it as the part of the
> message (second!! and always second!!), that’s gone missing.
>
> (C) Finally, when your server processing is too slow for the size of the
> buffer, then, there’s a chance that receive buffer may get full, in which
> case it would drop the packet that cannot be added to the receive buffer.
>
> However, judging from your “second!! and always second!!” statement, I’d
> say that (A) or (B), are more likely, barring something completely
> different (e.g some other bug, perhaps ;-))

Accordingly to tcpdump the size on packets from 300 to 400 bytes... also,
I've double-checked, there are no fragmented packets at all, my ss -anump
for beam shows:

skmem:(r0,rb16384,t0,tb212992,f4096,w0,o0,bl0,d0)

where:
 - rb16384 - rx buffer;
 - tb212992 - tx buffer;
 - d0 - drop counter.

So, I guess it's not an (A) nor (B). My internal erlang buffer *{buffer, *
*Size}* (https://erlang.org/doc/man/inet.html) is 8192. It's could be (C),
but the incoming packet rate is really low. Also, it's not a SIP parser for
messages received over UDP, due to I don't see and packets in my receive
process...