New EEP draft: Pinning operator ^ in patterns

Richard O'Keefe raoknz@REDACTED
Mon Dec 28 00:39:23 CET 2020

(a) Yes that kind of thing DOES cause headaches for me.
    There is no excuse for writing code like that and
    never has been.
(b) After correcting two of the full stops and wrapping
    these lines in a function and a -module,
f.erl:6: Warning: variable 'X' is unused
f.erl:6: Warning: variable 'X' shadowed in 'fun'

The very last thing we need is a notation that makes it
easier to write pointlessly bad code.

If the proposed notation solved some other practical
problem, we could live with the downsides.  But while
the Erlang shoes have given me many a blister over the
years, this EEP would have done nothing to help.

One thing I *would* like is an analogue of -Werror.