[erlang-questions] behavior of lists:append/1

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Mon Sep 16 12:01:42 CEST 2019

On 9/16/19 9:54 AM, Lukas Larsson wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 8:02 PM Karlo Kuna <kuna.prime@REDACTED
> <mailto:kuna.prime@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>     Michal,
>     i really prefer crashing than garbage in, garbage out policy.
>
>     also it would be nice if someone from OTP team confirms if stdlib
>     has "garbage in garbage out" policy. i can certainly see benefits of
>     it but in this case fix is easy and small.
>

> It is impossible to guard against every possible faulty input, ...

Although I agree with the rest of Lukas' answer, "impossible" is too
strong a word here; we are not talking about an undecidable problem
after all.

I think that "undesirable", "costly", etc. would have been a better
choice in this context.

Kostis