[erlang-questions] behavior of lists:append/1

Lukas Larsson lukas@REDACTED
Mon Sep 16 09:54:31 CEST 2019

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 8:02 PM Karlo Kuna <kuna.prime@REDACTED> wrote:

> Michal,
> i really prefer crashing than garbage in, garbage out policy.

also it would be nice if someone from OTP team confirms if stdlib has
> "garbage in garbage out" policy. i can certainly see benefits of it but in
> this case fix is easy and small.

It is impossible to guard against every possible faulty input, so yes, we
do have "a garbage in, garbage out policy". However, we do try to guide the
user to write correct code where possible without losing too much
performance. Where to draw the line of what "too much performance" means is
a constant debate as shown by the other answers to your question.

Lukas