[erlang-questions] [ANN] samovar 1.0.0

Max Lapshin max.lapshin@REDACTED
Sat Sep 14 20:05:08 CEST 2019

We have completely refused from semver, because it seems to be hardly
useable today.

Main reason is that nowadays nobody want to make major releases each 1,5
year with large changes, big migration path and 1,2 years of pain after
each big release.

Features are split into small steps and slowly implemented in services,
softwares, libraries, etc.

So it is too hard to say when 0.9.999-pre15-beta17 becomes 1.0.0.

Ubuntu lives with YY.MM and it is very convenient.  Firefox and Chrome just
give some release number without major/minor/patch.

I'm afraid that semantic versioning is not where modern software
development practice is going.